Monday, July 10, 2006

and furthermore - I'd like an answer to this one too

Why..... why is it if I call for a taxi and walk into it using my cane and go 8 blocks it's $7.00 or so........ but if I call the same company and tell them I'm in a scooter, they send a van (which they at times have sent for a 'walking person' call - I have had vans show up and pick me up when I was walking with my cane) and it costs me a flat fee of $30.00 to go the same distance??????

All taxi companies that I called do the same thing. They charge the disabled a flat fee and they are the people who can afford it the least. Is someone taking advantage of us? As far as I'm concerned, yes.

Don't tell me it's about fuel costs for vans because like I said, I've gotten a van for a cab when I'm walking with my cane and they just stick on the meter. So, if I'm in my scooter it's automatically $30.00?????

Something stinks here .........

2 Comments:

At Sunday, September 16, 2007 10:37:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am an instructor at the Ontario College of Art and Design, teaching a course called THINK TANK. Our university's mission, as stated, is: DESIGN FOR HUNANITY. In my course, I am having my students explore, assess, and react to neighborhoods in regards to their wheelchair accessibility.
I would love to talk to you about possibly coming in and talking to my students. I see that last post was over a year ago, I hope this reaches you. Please let me know.
Thanks (and congratulations on your extraordinary efforts).
Joan McArthur, Instructor, OCAD

 
At Thursday, March 12, 2009 6:07:00 PM, Blogger Disabled In Ontario said...

It reached me but far too late I'm afraid. Thanks very much for dropping by my site and commenting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home